Home>>Freight Broker Bond>>Becoming a Freight Broker?

Businesses/People in the trucking business inquire about freight brokering and say, "I already have my authority," but 99.9% of the time they are referring to their trucking authority.  


Remember you will need a seperate authority to become a freight broker.  


Here is what you need to for your freight broker authority:


  1. A motor carrier number (MC#)

  2. A BOC-3 which gives you legal representation in all 50 states.  Click here for an attached example.

  3. A UCR (Unified Carrier Registration)* permit

  4. Evidence of a $75,000 surety bond or trust fund- The Thomas Wilson Group LLC can help you with the surety bond piece of the requirements.


*Unified Carrier Registration:  The Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) Plan and Agreement are part of the Federally-mandated, State-administered program that went into effect September 10, 2007.  Under this program, States collect fees from motor carriers, motor private carriers, freight forwarders, brokers and leasing companies, based on the number of qualifying commercial motor vehicles (CMVs) in their fleets.  (Power units only- the law was amended so that beginning in 2010, only power units would be counted as qualifying CMVs and trailers are now excluded from determining fleet size.)  The revenues generated will be used for enforcement of motor carrier safety programs.  




"We truly appreciate all that you have done for us with the short time we gave you to work with. Thank you so much for all of your hard work and for coming in on your day off to tie up all of the loose ends."

--Mike and Terry from Illinois