Flat Bed Truck Insurance

Thomas Wilson Group, LLC has helped truckers by offering affordable and reliable commercial truck insurance. We provide insurance for most types of commercial truckers including owner operator insurance, motor carrier insurance and private carrier insurance. Providing commercial truck insurance in TN, AL, MS, FL, TX, and many more.

Along with the regular hazards facing commercial truckers, flatbed truck drivers also must worry about straps unfastening and cargo dislodging. A large number of small things—anything from hitting a pothole to driving over bumpy pavement to braking just a little too sharply—can put you, your truck, and cargo in jeopardy. It’s important, then, to find flatbed truck insurance that understands your business and keeps you and your cargo protected.


Whether you’re hauling sheet metal, pipes, or heavy machinery, you need to fully insure yourself against the things that can happen on the road. Cargo spills and cargo shifts are all too common with flatbed haulers. The typical flat bed insurance policy includes several different types of coverages meant to anticipate any sort of situation.


Liability Coverage – Required coverage. Pays for damage done to others’ property when you are at fault.

Collision Coverage – Pays for damage done to your flatbed hauler caused by a collision—usually another motorist.

Comprehensive Coverage – Insures your tractor and flat bed trailer from damage caused by things other than vehicles. Things like fire, theft, or a deer running out onto the highway.
Ramp, Chain, Tarp, and Binder Coverage – Unique to Flatbeds, this coverage protects the equipment that secures your cargo.

Cargo Insurance – Covers damage done to the freight hauled on a flatbed truck.
Loading and Unloading Coverage – Cargo insurance for when a commodity is being loaded or unloaded.

Towing and Storage Coverage – A beefed-up Roadside assistance. This coverage pays for the towing and storage of your vehicle.

Combined Deductible – After an accident you pay only a single deductible instead of individual deductibles for collision, cargo, liability, etc.

Loss Mitigation – insures against any additional losses following a reported accident.

Debris Removal – pays for the pick up and removal of cargo spilt onto a roadway after an accident.

Earned Freight – if a shipment can’t be delivered due to an accident, this coverage replaces any income you lost.


How Much Does Flatbed Trucking Insurance Cost?

Flatbed Insurance can cost anywhere between $7,500 and $12,000 a year, depending on several factors, like:


  • Your location and operating area

  • Your driving experience and driving record

  • Which coverages you choose

  • Your limit

  • Your deductible


While the first two factors are mostly out of your control, you can customize the last three to reduce your premium. If a low cost is important to you, you can opt for minimum coverage, a low limit, and a high deductible. Heed caution, though, because if you do find yourself in an accident with a cheap policy, you could end up paying a large out of pocket cost

One surefire way to lower your insurance costs without sacrificing full coverage is to shop around between different flatbed insurance companies. Comparing rates from different commercial insurance agents was once hard, but we’ve made the process easy. Simply fill out our quick form and we’ll connect you with three different flatbed insurance agents! They’ll compete for your business and you can pick the best policy at the best price.


Federal and State Truck Insurance Filings

We offer federal truck insurance filings for trucking businesses that engage in common or contract for-hire trucking, for-hire passenger transportation*, hauling hazardous cargo (placard) and interstate trucking. Federal filings are not required for businesses that do not cross state lines. State filings are required if a trucking business hauls exempt commodities unless the business is in a specified state.

More about Commercial Truck Insurance Filings

Federal Filings

We offer federal filings for trucking businesses that engage in:

Interstate trucking
Hauling hazardous cargo (placard)*
For-hire trucking (common, contract)
For-hire passenger transportation*
As an example, you are required to have a federal filing if you are a motor carrier doing long haul trucking, regional trucking or if you are specialist. For-hire truckers hauling nonexempt commodities across the state line must also carry a federal filing. The filings required for these types of businesses are the BMC-34 filing and the BMC-32 form.

Federal filings are not required for businesses that never cross the state line or engage intrastate trucking.

State Filings

State filings for intrastate exempt commodity haulers are the Form E Filing, the Form F Filing, and the Form H Filing. Learn more about different insurance filings.

The following are considered unregulated trucking sectors that do not require a federal or state registration.

Private carriers hauling their own goods, such as manufacturers, farming and retail operations
Owner operators hauling under someone else's authority, such as a truck owner leased on to a motor carrier
Other Filings and Certificates of Insurance (COI)
Other reasons besides trucking authority might require a business to submit proof of insurance. For example, drivers with probationary licenses or owners of oversized vehicles may need a non-trucking filing or a certificate of insurance (COI).

To verify if you need proof of insurance, check the list below for your business type or vehicle class and state of operation.


Motor Carrier Insurance for Trucking

You spend a lot of money on your trucking business, so you want to be sure it's protected. After all, your truck is your livelihood - that's why motor carrier insurance designed specifically for for-hire truckers is so important. Choosing the right motor carrier coverage is the best way to protect your investment and your business.

Thomas Wilson Group LLCC will not only protect your business and provide the coverage you need, it offers you some of the best rates in the industry because of the multiple insurance carriers we can quote you with.

For-Hire Truck Insurance Recommendations
Many motor carriers use permanently leased independent contractors. If you are one of these for-hire owner-operators, you may receive Primary Liability insurance under your Motor Carrier’s authority. However, you may still need to purchase “Contingent” or Non-Trucking Liability insurance, as well as Physical Damage coverage for your vehicle. There are many for-hire truck insurance options. Read below to learn more about the types of motor carrier insurance coverages you or your contractors may need.

Mandatory Motor Carrier Truck Insurance Coverages
Liability insurance is a mandatory motor carrier insurance coverage that pays for damages you cause to other people and their property. Liability insurance coverages for motor carriers includes Bodily Injury insurance and Property Damage coverage.

Optional Motor Carrier Insurance Coverages
To make sure you have the best protection for your truck when you’re on the road, you should also consider purchasing some of the optional motor carrier insurance coverages:

Physical Damage coverage – Can pay for repairs to your truck if it's damaged in an accident, whether it's caused by a collision with another vehicle or a falling tree branch and can include Collision insurance, Comprehensive insurance, or Fire and Theft with Combined Additional Coverages.

Medical Payments insurance – Available in select states, this first party coverage can pay medical bills for you and any passengers in your truck in case they are hurt in an accident or auto-related injury.

Uninsured Motorist insurance – Can pay for injuries and damages to you or your passengers and your vehicle, where available, caused by drivers who either don't have insurance or don't have enough insurance to cover your injuries and damages.

Motor Truck Cargo insurance – Can pay for damages to cargo you're hauling.
Motor Carrier Coverage Limitations


State and Federal Motor Carrier Insurance Filings
To operate under your own authority, motor carriers must often meet various financial responsibility regulations based on the weight of vehicles operated and commodities hauled.

Thomas Wilson Group LLC makes it easy to obtain motor carrier filings for your required levels of financial responsibility. From the SSRS Form E to MCS-90 filing, we can help. Once you obtain your motor carrier authority, we'll take care of the rest. We'll even file all of the paperwork for you.


Providing commercial truck insurance in TN, AL, MS, FL, TX, and many more.

Home>>Truck Insurance Options>>Flat Bed Truck Insurance

Commercial truck insurance rates are going up.  Most trucking companies are seeing their rates go up 20-30%. Commercial truck insurance rates with Thomas Wilson Group, LLC. are always competitive.  We want to make sure your insurance is within your budget and you can have the peace of mind of having you and your truck properly covered.  


Get a commercial truck insurance quote online