Home>>Commercial Truck Insurance Filings

Commercial Truck Insurance Filings

Commercial Truck Insurance Filings​​

Thomas Wilson Group, LLC. offers state and federal filings, also called financial proof of responsibility, that is a guarantee to the government that you are carrying sufficient truck insurance protection. Once you file for authority, we can take care of the rest. Learn more about commercial truck insurance.


What are commercial truck filings?:

Federal Filings

State Filings

Sectors that do not require Federal or State filings

Certificate of Insurance and Other Filings


Federal Filings
We offer federal filings for trucking businesses that engage in:

Interstate trucking

Hauling hazardous cargo (placard)*
For-hire trucking (common, contract)
For-hire passenger transportation*

As an example, you are required to have a federal filing if you are a motor carrier doing long haul trucking, regional trucking or if you are specialist. For-hire truckers hauling nonexempt commodities across the state line must also carry a federal filing. The filings required for these types of businesses are the BMC-34 filing and the BMC-32 form.

Federal filings are not required for businesses that never cross the state line or engage intrastate trucking.

State Filings
If you haul exempt commodities you are required to submit a state filing unless you are in one of the following states:

New Jersey

State filings for intrastate exempt commodity haulers are the Form E Filing, the Form F Filing, and the Form H Filing. 

Sectors That Do Not Require Federal or State Filings
The following are considered unregulated trucking sectors that do not require a federal or state registration.

Private carriers hauling their own goods, such as manufacturers, farming and retail operations

Owner operators hauling under someone else's authority, such as a truck owner leased on to a motor carrier

Other Filings and Certificates of Insurance (COI)

Other reasons besides trucking authority might require a business to submit proof of insurance. For example, drivers with probationary licenses or owners of oversized vehicles may need a non-trucking filing or a certificate of insurance (COI).

To verify if you need proof of insurance, check the list below for your business type or vehicle class and state of operation.

States Filing or Certificate of Insurance
Commercial balloon excursions  CA  PL914 Filing
Commercial river rafting excursions  CA  PL914 Filing
Commercial skiing (class C) excursions  CA  PL914 Filing
Courtesy transportation (not for-hire)  CT  MC1641 Filing

CA  TL1000 Filing
Driving schools  CA  California Driving School Certificate

VT  TA-VN-31 Driver Training COI
For-hire transport  CA  MCP-65 Filing
Leasing or renting a vehicle  CT  R1325C – IRB3613C Filing
Movers of household goods  CA  TL676 Filing
Oversized vehicles, trailers or loads  OH  OS-32 Filing
AL, AR, LA, MS, PA  Oversized/Overweight Vehicles COI
Oversized or Overweight vehicles, trailers and/or loads  NY  Perm 17
Overweight vehicle  CA  MCP-65 Filing
FL  Florida Department of Motor Vehicles COI
Reinstate a suspended license  All  SR-22 Filing
IN  SR50 Filing
Towing businesses  MT  Form MV5 COI
CO  Form 12
CO  Form 14
TX  Form T
OK  WA Form
Transporting goods or people across state lines  All  BMC-91X Filing
All  Form MCS-90


Providing commercial truck insurance in TN, AL, MS, FL, TX, and many more. 

Get a Quote

Commercial truck insurance rates are going up.  Most trucking companies are seeing their rates go up 20-30%. Commercial truck insurance rates with Thomas Wilson Group, LLC. are always competitive.  We want to make sure your insurance is within your budget and you can have the peace of mind of having you and your truck properly covered.  


Get a commercial truck insurance quote online