Home>>New Authorities

New Authorities

If you have not started the process of getting your authority yet, there are a few steps in order to getting your trucking authority. Most companies will help you start your authority.  We specialist in the insurance portion of getting your authority.  The steps below provide you a synopsis of getting your authority.  Once you receive your trucking authority, we will provide you with the best rates in the industry to for truck insurance.


For getting your federal trucking authority: (will take 2 weeks to complete)


Step 1: Get your MC number:  Issued by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), the Motor Carrier (MC) Number is what constitutes authority to cross state lines for hire as a motor carrier. All companies transporting freight for hire are required to obtain an MC Number. 


Step 2: Get your USDOT number:  Issued by the United States Department of Transportation (USDOT), the USDOT Number is the main tracking number for your trucking company. The USDOT number registers the number of trucks, drivers, and the safety rating of your company. A USDOT NUMBER DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AUTHORITY. 


Step 3:  Get your BOC-3 Process Agents:  Process agents are people designated in each state that can accept legal documents on your behalf and then return them to you in your home state. BOC 3 Process agents are a requirement to obtaining federal authority.

Step 4:  Get your truck insurance:  A carrier must obtain liability and cargo insurance and is recommended that you obtain a $1,000,000-liability policy and a $100,000 Cargo policy. You will need to obtain insurance within the first two weeks after the MC number is filed to avoid any delays in your authority processing. If you fail to get insurance on file within the first 60 days then your authority application will be dismissed. If you do not obtain insurance within that year’s time, you will have to start the authority process over again and repay all applicable fees.

Providing commercial truck insurance in TN, AL, MS, FL, TX, and many more.



For getting your state trucking authority:  


Step 1:  Get your UCRA:  The Unified Carrier Registration Agreement states that all motor carriers, regulated, exempt, private, interstate brokers, Freight Forwarders and leasing companies are subject to fees under the UCRA. Fees are calculated per company based on the number of commercial motor vehicles it operates. Commercial motor vehicles include the number of trucks and power units operated by the company).


Step 2:  Get your IFTA:   The International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) is for trucks with a Gross Vehicle Weight over 26,000 lbs operating interstate for-hire or interstate private. All 48 states and the Provinces of Canada participate in the IFTA program. Once registered there will be quarterly tax filings due. You are required to keep track of the mileage traveled in each state and all of your fuel purchases. Some states charge a small one time registration fee to get started but usually it is free.


Step 3: Get your IRP:  The International Registration Plan (IRP) is for trucks with a Gross Vehicle Weight over 26,000 lbs operating interstate for-hire or interstate private. All 48 states and the Provinces of Canada participate in the IRP Program. The IRP covers the apportioned tags for the truck. There is a yearly fee to register and operate your truck in each state or province. The cost is dependent on the miles you run in each state or province for the year. The average cost ranges from $1000 to $3000.

Step 4:  Get your permits:  
NY, NM, KY, & OR – These states require an extra permit to operate within their borders. Once registered there will be tax filings due based on the miles traveled in each of these states. 

  • NY charges a $15 per truck registration fee and quarterly reporting of mileage.

  • NM charges a $7 per truck registration fee and quarterly reporting of mileage.

  • KY does not charge a registration fee, but does require quarterly reporting of mileage.

  • OR charges a $2000 cash deposit or security bond to register. The cash or bond will be returned if the carrier stays compliant for the initial 24 months. After registering the carrier is required to file monthly mileage reports.

Providing commercial truck insurance in TN, AL, MS, FL, TX, and many more.

Truck Authority, New Authority, New Authority Truck Insurance Quote

Commercial truck insurance rates are going up.  Most trucking companies are seeing their rates go up 20-30%. Commercial truck insurance rates with Thomas Wilson Group, LLC. are always competitive.  We want to make sure your insurance is within your budget and you can have the peace of mind of having you and your truck properly covered.  


Get a commercial truck insurance quote online

5214 Maryland Way, Ste. 404
Brentwood, TN 37027

Phone: 866-223-8013

Fax: 615-277-0754


Providing commercial truck insurance in TNALMSFLTX, AR, NC, SC and many more. We provide truck insurance and coverages like Physical Damage, Auto Liability, Owner - Operator Physical Damage, Owner - Operator Non Trucking Liability, Commercial Fleet and Non Fleet Insurance and much more. Commercial truck insurance is made easy with Thomas Wilson Group, LLCTruck Insurance coverage for many states like TennesseeOhioFlorida,  North Carolina, Arkansas, South Carolina, Texas, and many more.  Get a Truck Insurance Quote Fast and Free Today.

Thomas Wilson Group, LLC. is a proud sponsor of the Wounded Warriors

Truck Insurance Quote

Connect With Us

  • Facebook Classic

"If you know of anyone who is in need of commercial insurance or wants to change please refer them to Todd Smith.  He was outstanding to work with and provided an insurance certificate after normal business hours in a pinch to a new customer.  He went the extra mile and was very easy to work with. Thanks Todd for your help!"



Freight Broker Bonds

Thomas Wilson Group, LLC specializes in commercial truck insurance. That means you will not have to worry when you are driving your semi-truck or any commercial vehicle for business.  We look for the best commercial auto insurance and trucking insurance options for you.  We know you are on a budget and we want to make sure the coverages like liability, physical damage, cargo, and truckers general liability are affordable.  That is why we have many commercial trucking companies in order to give you the best trucking insurance quotes in the industry.  We represent commercial trucking insurance companies like Progressive Commercial, Northland, and Tower Group.  Our companies not only offer the best coverages in the industry, they also allow us to give you the most truck insurance discounts in the industry.


We know trucking insurance is important to you.  We have agents who specialize in 14 states to make sure you have the right coverage for each state.  We represent truck insurance options in Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, Louisiana and many more.  


So what type of truck insurance and commercial trucking insurance coverage we provide?  We provide a wide array of trucking insurance coverages.  There are many trucking companies who need a wide array of coverage.  Some trucking businesses need owner operator truckers insurance.  We offer primary liability trucking insurance, non-trucking liability truck insurance, physical damage truck insurance, cargo truck insurance, and much more.  We also offer trucking insurance and fast trucking insurance quotes for fleets.  We will insurance from the owner operator trucker all the way to the 50 fleet trucking company.  Give us a call today for all of your trucking insurance needs and trucking insurance services.